Saturday, May 9, 2009

Shopping eye opener

As you know I love to shop for shoes. It's because shoes fit...clothes not so much. I went shopping a few weeks ago and since Katie wasn't there (of course I went to Nordstrom...have been getting shoes there since I was a little girl in Seattle! I like shoes that actually fit and are great quality.) I was forced to have a man help me who was so less than interested. In fact I wandered around for a long time before anyone offered to help me. Kind of unusual but I think it's because there were a lot of more stylish types shopping that day. Since my hamstring tear and my arch, heal, and toe pain I have to be picky about the shoes I wear. I get tired of sore feet and I can't buy anything that could even possibly cause me to slip on those tile floors at work. So I have to try on a lot of shoes. Try to find a cut sandal with arch support. Oh, there were a few but they were $150+. Can't do that! Anyway, I tried on lots of shoes and I swear I could hear the guy sigh! Finally I picked a Dansko (my new shoe of choice for both safety and comfort) sandals and a Born flat that had a little arch. And I used my $20 reward so it helped.
I decided to go upstairs to check out the clothes. When I worked in Encore there were really cute clothes. Now they are ugly and awful. As I was walking around I noticed how much of a no one I was to people. Paranoid? I don't think so. It is really difficult to be a "large" person in a world where thin and stylish is valued. I started the self talk "you are a beautiful, wonderful person and Heavenly Father loves you!" I couldn't wait to get out.
I went to Dillard's where I really hate to shop. I don't like their policies and good luck getting any help! But they have a really large shoe selection (and unlike Nords not quite so stylish and lots of Merrel, keva, born, simple, ecco, etc) I was there forever because they are woahfully understaffed! I didn't even attempt to look at clothes.
I left exhausted and deflated. And reminded that true beauty is on the inside but has to be projected to those around you for them to see it. My sense of acceptance and worth cannot come from how people...especially strangers...treat me. If I want to be valued I must treat others in a manner that THEY will feel loved and valued.
I, of course, returned some shoes. When I went back I decided I should just stick with Dansko. They don't hurt your toes because your toes don't touch anything. They have support and they have safe soles. So I bought the pair I should have bought in the first place and to add to they awesomeness of the whole experience I had another $20 off plus the guy who waited on me this time was really nice and treated me like I mattered. Maybe that day I was projecting the love I know Heavenly Father has for me and all of His children!

4 comments:

mandi said...

And here I am thinking I need a mall for some serious retail therapy. Maybe it's good I live in nowheresville. You ARE beautiful and wonderful. Just come over and let your grandkids remind you of that.

The Parks Fam said...

You are beautiful and wonderful inside and out Cyd!! The people that really matter love you and think the world of you. Katie will be back at work soon so you don't have to deal with those nordstrom people anymore!

Gramma Cyddie said...

YOU ARE SO SWEET!!! I really wasn't fishing for support just expressing what I felt. But thank you (and Mandi) just the same!

Bri said...

What a crazy shopping story. I never get to go shopping, so its extra sad you had a bad time. At least it turned out alright in the end. WE LOVE YOU!